Monday 10 October 2011

Chapter 2: School

Siang He Elementary School is going to be my second home for the next two months, so I am trying to explore it to the fullest. This is also the reason, I find the process of exploration more attractive, then blogging about it. I promise to improve myself, though.

Being a teacher's daughter, I always had this strange kind of affection towards school buildings. At the first sight Siang He makes a good impression, and honestly, keeps it up till the very end. It's large but not overwhelming; modern, but cosy; comfortable for kids, parents and teachers as well. In the middle of the concrete courtyard - an island of greenery. Between computer labs and library - a separate room for shells. (!) I might be wrong, but seeing all the kids running around, playing soccer or ping pong during their breaks (instead of playing video games, which seems to be more and more popular in Poland), I can tell they feel good in here. Which, you have to admit, is somewhat unique. Children are almost impossible to deceive and like it or not, they tell the truth. So, they feel good in here, just like I do. (And not only because of the coffee machine we have in our office, although I have the most passionate feelings towards it. More on the coffee - tea theme - coming up!)

Coming back to to the school life - just a little bit on the differences between Polish and Taiwanese educational systems. Children here start school at six: this makes me think of the "start-at-six-or-at-seven" discussion we had last year in Poland. I don't have my own 6 year old to worry about, but as a teacher, I can't help feeling, that the difference between six and seven year old student is a giant one. Seeing their tiny faces, smiles with not-so-many-teeth, and instant need to be hugged, or at least hold by hand by their BFF's, I'm afraid we are too ambitious, too pushy, too omniscient as educators. Can't we just leave them to be kids for a while? We can teach them what is two plus two, or how deep is the Mariana Trench, a little bit later. How to develop a good social relationships, emotional intelligence, good self-esteem - not so much, this really, really, really should not wait.

Anyway (I see that I have some serious issue going on, that doesn't allow me to concentrate on simply one subject, but forces me to compare everything; that is what you get for studying comparative literature), in Siang He this problem is not that big of a deal. Kindergarten is next to school, and the flow between one and the other seems easier. But as an eager international education reasearcher (!), I have to interview my collegues about the details. I wonder, if this six year old going to school idea is it a new invention here, just like in Poland...

The thing I absolutely admire about Siang He is how they teach little folks to take care about the common property. Every single morning, when I get to work, in the corridors I bump into our students, running around with sweeps or mops, laughing and chasing each other, and simultaneously, cleaning the floors. Who said that cleaning can't be a great fun? (I know, from observation, that usually household stuff makes the greatest toys). Who reserved this job for grumpy old women, who are being laughed at, and not being helped? Taiwanese students learn from the very beginning, that every work is equally important. Couldn't agree more.

That is not the end of this "On school" chapter, as it gets more and more exciting - this week I'll start my own lessons. Time for confrontation and standing up eye to eye with an Asian tiger! ;)




(There is just nothing better than this clip, its motivating lyrics plus the 90ties looks...)

For all those, who eagerly wait for photos - good news: I am really close to getting a camera, so stay tuned. Zài jiàn 再见 

3 comments:

  1. To takie małe dzieci będziesz uczyć? Ale jak się będziesz z nimi porozumiewać? Czy ktoś ci będzie pomagał?
    A w klipie najprzystojniejszy jest klawiszowiec! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Na szczęście nie, będę mieć 4-6klasistów, z takimi maluchami-maluchami nie dałabym rady... Ale te sześciolatki jakoś mi się tak wyjątkowo rzuciły w oczy, naprawdę jest ogromna różnica, nawet w tym, jak wyglądają! Ciekawa jestem, jak sobie radzą nauczycielki w tym roku z 6 i 7 latkami w jednej klasie - kosmos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the song. love the cleaning. should have that in Poland - instead of school benches marked with inappropriate drawings made with magic markers.

    ReplyDelete